1. Apply the EFQM Business Excellence model, using relevant theory and concepts learnt on the module, to one organisation of your choice. Draw on your analysis to identify and capture strengths and areas for improvement to the chosen organisation (40%)
Criterion 4 – Partnerships & Resources: i. How well do they build sustainable relationships with their partners & suppliers? ii. Do they manage their buildings, equipment and resources in a sustainable way?
Criterion 5 - Processes, Products and Services:
i. Have they defined the key processes required to deliver their strategy?
ii. Do they develop new, innovative products and services?
2. Based on your analysis, offer and justify one operations/supply chain management strategy that the chosen organisation could pursue to drive business excellence (40%)
Some advice on developing your strategy in Q2 You may wish to use the RADAR elements to help you address questions
2. This may also influence the key points raised in your executive summary. RADAR Strategy element Result What would success look like from this strategy? Approach Describe what the strategy looks like in terms of an approach or approaches? Deployment What specific steps would chosen organisation take to deliver this strategy/approach? Assessment & How would chosen organisation ensure the approach stays Refinement on track? What else would they need to consider? Who else could they learn from? Advice on the practical application of theory There is an expectation that you go beyond learning gained on the MBHPO module. This includes a need to conduct your own research into the key themes underpinning the questions above using the academic literature (e.g. journal articles and other credible sources).
You will need to briefly introduce your chosen organisation to familiarise the reader with the appropriate context. There are no marks for detailed background to the company. You are being assessed on your reflections, interpretation and application of theory in practice and analytical reasoning using accepted academic practice and literature. Key sections with suggestions as to word count Contents Approximate Weighting Word Count
1. Executive summary 200 10%
2. Brief summary and critique of the EFQM 200 5% Business Excellence model.
3. Application of the EFQM Business Excellence 1300 35% model Criterion 4 and 5 and theory in the context of the chosen organisation
4. Justification of supply chain/operations 800 40% strategy
5. Bibliography (not included in the word count) 10% Report Specifications Your report should be a maximum of 2500 words (+/- 10%) excluding title page, references, and appendices. Sticking to a strict word limit is difficult and an important skill for you to acquire, so make sure that you write in a concise and focused manner. It should be typed font size 12 and 1.5 line spacing and must be presented in portrait format, not landscape. This report is worth 45% of your total grade for this module. An essential feature of the report is to illustrate how theoretical constructs or models can be critically analysed and applied to organisations in practice. You are therefore advised to read widely. In fact, unless you have read and referenced at least 10 discrete references, it is unlikely that you have done sufficient reading (you need to go beyond this to achieve higher marks). Beware of sources from the Internet (no Wikipedia or business balls): apart from reputable and academic references that can be downloaded through the Internet (commonly via the library catalogue); most Internet references are not considered reliable for an academic piece of work. Academic journals generally offer a better source than textbooks. You must use the APA 6th Referencing system