Tourism Planning & Development
The Nature of the Final Assessment
You are asked to choose a Tourism Development Plan (TDP) and use this to answer the questions below.
This assignment is designed to test your knowledge of tourism planning, planning concepts and the planning process. It asks you to demonstrate this with reference to a TDP.
Attempt to answer the following questions.
- What is the vision for tourism outlined in your plan?
- How does this vision translate into a set of aims and objectives?
- What primary and secondary research was undertaken prior to the compilation of these aims and objectives?
- How was the plan subject to public consultation?
- What product(s) are being offered? How will these be positioned, promoted and distributed?
- What human resource issues have been identified in the plan? How does the TDP propose to address these?
- How will the plan be financed?
- Who will be responsible for implementing the plan? Is there a separate implementation manual?
- How will the plan be monitored and evaluated?
- What is the timescale for completion?
Include an introduction to introduce the task and a conclusion to bring your discussion together at the end. Both should be brief – no more than one or two sentences. A bibliography should be included.
Think carefully about your choice of TDP. Only choose one where you will be able to answer all the above questions. Your TDP can be chosen from anywhere in the world. Numerous examples of TDP’s can be found on the electronic databases in the library and on the web.