Case Study Guidelines
Please refer also to the mark sheet, available on Moodle.
- aetiology: describe the specific disorder and the biological basis of its cause of origin
- all aspects of pathogenesis: discuss the development/progression of the disease in the patient and the symptoms displayed
- epidemiological aspects: include mode of transmission within the population
- strategy and methods used to establish its presence in a clinical context: relate the methods used to laboratory disciplines i.e. microbiological, haematological, histopathological, biochemical etc
- progression and monitoring: discuss the role of the laboratory in investigating abnormalities resulting from the disease process
- treatment/prevention: drug effects may be considered if relevant
- future research: how may current and future research help to elucidate the mechanisms behind the disorder and new treatment/prevention strategies.
support all your comments by reference to relevant literature. Bibliographic references must be cited using Harvard referencing (http://libguides.mmu.ac.uk/mmuharvard)