Individual Case Study 1500 words (50%)
Conduct and review a consultation (approximately 20 minutes) with an individual who has the intention of increasing their habitual physical activity.
Use the materials covered in learning sessions and from your background reading to plan and conduct an exercise counselling session with the client. The session should last no longer than 20 minutes. Your aims will be to move the client towards change, to find out about motives, to elicit change talk and to design an action plan to move things forward. You are encouraged to use strategies from Motivational Interviewing in the exercise consultation.
Following the consultation, construct a review of the session drawing on appropriate academic sources related to behaviour change. You should NOT write in the first person.
In your review you should include the following:
- A BRIEF client biography (make this up, use the transcription as a guide if needed) [only 5% of the marks are on here so keep it brief 100-150 word?)
- Consideration of the client’s status in relation to behaviour change theory (where is this person on the behaviour change theory currently?) [again this is only 5% so keep it brief]
- The utility of behaviour change theory in a practical setting
- A review of the session including evidence from the consultation of planning, movement of the client towards change and a realistic action plan in moving forward (where most of the writing should be, what was the session about? Use quotes from transcript to support this and back it up using resources. Use the behaviour change theory where are they and step by step are they moving forward? Where are they halfway through and where are they at the end of the session?) use figures if needed.
^ written part of the essay
- Links to a range of appropriate academic sources
- Appendices should include; a full transcription, associated paperwork from the consultation
- A brief client biography (5%)
- Consideration of the clients status in relation to behaviour change theory (5%)
- The utility of behaviour change theory in a practical setting (15%)
- A review of the session including evidence from the consultation of planning, movement of the client towards change and a realistic action plan in moving forward (35%)
- Links to a range of appropriate academic sources (20%)
- Appendices should include; a full transcription, associated paperwork from the consultation (10%)
- Presentation, style, structure and referencing (10%)