Communication theory emphasising written and oral communication in relation to organisational, intrapersonal, interpersonal and group
communication. Importance of relationships in the work context, language, listening and nonverbal behaviour. Interpersonal contexts
include negotiation, interviewing, feedback, coaching and counselling. Group communication --roles, leadership and facilitation,
problem-solving, decision making and group creativity.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- describe and discuss contemporary theories and concepts in interpersonal communication
- examine the role of communication in management, particularly in leadership, decision making, conflict resolution, creativity and
- extend personal communication skills by identifying opportunities for growth and strategies for development
- demonstrate competence and professionalism in structuring and delivering persuasive messages
- critically analyse communication style.