Management of the employment relationship and workplace issues is central to the unit. Roles of parties to the employment
relationship -- management, employees, trade unions, employer groups, government, and tribunals -- are analysed. Management and
employee roles in conflict resolution, negotiation and bargaining, conciliation and arbitration, and maintaining control of the employment
relationship are covered. External and internal environments are considered regarding legislation, labour market reform, and
decentralisation of the Australian industrial relations system to an enterprise focus.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- differentiate between employee relations issues and industrial relations issues
- describe the main institutional features and key developments in the Australian industrial relations system as they impact upon employee relations
- identify management strategies for dealing with employee relations in Australian workplaces and other countries
- individual and team based analysis of workplace case studies and class activities
- develop basic skills in managing communication, negotiation, and bargaining at the workplace.