This course will introduce students to the current trends and issues related to computer, network, and
cloud security. The course covers both computer security (including such topics as security policies,
access control, malwares, etc.) and network and cloud security, along with some relevant background
in basic cryptography.
The purpose of this assessment is critically analyse the requirements of the users and their security
issues, and provide solutions for their on-premise, hybrid or full cloud network.
1. This is an individual open book assessment and worth 70% of your total assessment weighting of
the entire course.
2. You have 2 weeks to complete this assessment.
3. You have the opportunity for one resubmission for one failed assessment per course. The maximum
mark available for any reassessed failed assessment event is 50%.
You can make a request for a resubmission within three working days of the return of the
assessment and negotiate a resubmission date.
5. The agreed resubmission date will be adhered to and no further extensions will be given. In all cases,
the grade achieved on the resubmission will be the grade used to calculate the final course grade.
6. Failing two or more assessments within a course equates to a failed course and a re-enrolment of
7. You are required to keep a soft copy of the submitted assessment.
8. You need to submit you assessment through Turnitin via Canvas.
9. All students are required to attach the signed assessment coversheet (the front page of this
document) with their final submission.
10. Students are required to check their course outlines in relation to assessment extension
11. Extensions of time to complete an assessment are only given in exceptional circumstances. If you
anticipate difficulty in meeting the due dates to submit an assessment and/or sit tests or
examinations, and/or attempt any missed practical assessment activity which may have been
timetabled to occur once only during the programme, you may request an extension of time.
12. A formal written request must be made prior to the due date. The agreed extension date will be
adhered to and no further extensions will be given.
This assessment is mapped to the following learning outcomes for this course:
LO 1: Analyse risks and attacks to networking services and recommend strategies for enhancing
LO 3: Apply advanced skills to analyse security events and incidents to recommend security
solutions for businesses
LO 4: Apply advanced skills to secure a network and its applications by utilizing advanced security
architecture, tools, and processes
Graduate Profile Outcome
The above stated learning outcomes are mapped to the graduate profile outcome shown below for this
GPO 3: Critically assess a business network and cloud system’s security and propose solutions to
mitigate security risks.
GPO 5: Demonstrate advanced communication, cultural and teamwork skills in professional and
applied contexts including acknowledging biculturalism, Te Ao Māori, tikanga and