- Examine what actions and tactics constitute a cyber crime and how law enforcement uses digital forensics to investigate this type of crime.
- Differentiate, at a high level, between the types of evidence associated with computer crimes:
testimony, physical, and electronic evidence.
- Examine the types of digital forensic analysis and general guidelines for any foren sic work.
IT550–1: Analyze forensic methods used to investigate cybersecurity breaches.
Professional Competency Outcome:
PC–2.2: Formulate innovative solutions for identified initiatives.
A large commercial corporation has witnessed a security breach of the network, and has found one laptop on the scene belonging to someone known to have the expertise for launching large -scale cyber-attacks against secure networks. The laptop and its data provide you with sources of physical and digital forensics evidence. Since the laptop was connected to the network, any communications involving the laptop could also provide
you with some additional digital evidence. This commercial corporation’s Point of Contact (POC) has requested your computer forensics team provide investigative expertise in this matter in multiple areas. The investigative point of contact for this commercial corporation is confused concerning what constitutes a cybercrime case, the different types of digital evidence your team may be looking for, and what some of the general guidelines are in doing any forensic work.
The expected length of the report is 8–10 pages or 2000–2500 words. Your project submission should include the following in a Microsoft® Word® document:
The main body of the paper:
- Effective introduction.
- Facts behind what constitutes a cyber-terrorist crime and security breach in this case.
- The meaning behind the different types of evidence related to a cyber-terrorism case.
- A description of the actual e-discovery process to be taken using forensics tools and techniques.
- A conclusion allowing the reader to reach a high level of understanding of all the major topics presented.
- Close the paper with an explanation of research on this topic, both in the textbook and using your Web references, so you may provide a write-up describing these details.
Save your Word document using the following file name format: Username-IT550-Assignment-Unit#.docx (Example: TAllen-IT550-Assignment-Unit1.docx). Submit your file to the Unit 1 Assignment Dropbox by the end of Unit 1.
Written Assignment Requirements
Written work should be free of spelling, grammar, and APA errors. Points deducted from the grade for each
writing, spelling, or grammar error are at your instructor’s discretion.
For more information and an example of APA formatting, see the resources in Doc Sharing or visit the KU Writing Center from the KU Homepage.
Also review the KU Policy on Plagiarism. This policy will be strictly enforced on all applicable Assignments