Discussion 1 Content and Questions in regards to a film
Film: Not Just a Game. Northampton, MA: Media Education Foundation, 2010.
- Howard Cosell famously declared that “Rule #1 of the jockocracy is that sports and politics don’t mix.” How does Zirin poke holes in that statement?
- What does Zirin tell us about manliness and sport, and how does he use football to explain what he calls the “militarization of sports culture”?
- How did Pat Tillman’s life “expose a fault line in the political mythology of sport”?
- In the section of the film entitled “Like a Girl,” how does Zirin demonstrate that sport can serve as a window into larger issues of gender inequality?
- How does Zirin show that sanitizing sports history is a political act as much as exploring the political in sport? Think about what Zirin says about Jackie Robinson.