Write an essay on ONE of these topics:
1. ‘For better or worse, globalisation has profoundly altered world politics.’ Discuss.
2. ‘State sovereignty remains central to global governance.’ Discuss
3. ‘Unipolarity defined international relations in the 1990s.’ Discuss
4. ‘US power waned in the 21st century for reasons of its own making.’ Discuss
5. ‘New powers are rising this century but their global clout is limited.’ Discuss
6. ‘The Trump administration poses a threat to international order.’ Discuss.
Note that when you are asked to ‘discuss’ a statement you are entitled to agree or disagree with the claims implied in the statement but either way you should explore competing perspectives on the issue and not just tell one side of the story before coming to a conclusion of your own.
For School policies on marking, please consult the SHum Policies Booklet. In assessing your essays criteria used to determine the grade are:
- consistency and clarity of analysis and argument
- structure of analysis and argument
- use of appropriate evidence to sustain argument
- focus on, and relevance to, the topic set
- theoretical and conceptual understanding
- knowledge of topic/coverage of relevant issues
- evidence of reading and research, adequacy of bibliographic material
- original thought and critical evaluation
- clarity of expression
- reasonable command of the English language and grammar
- no typographical errors
- correct referencing and bibliographic techniques in essays