Contemporary Developments in Business and Management (SIM337)
Assessment weighted at 100% assessing all module learning outcomes.
Activity: Prepare a management report of 3,500 to 4,000 words* on an organization within one of the following industry-sectors**:
1. Agriculture – animal production (UK SIC A01.4)
2. Manufacture of fabricated metal products, except machinery and equipment (UK SIC C25)
3. Rental and leasing activities (UK SIC N77)
4. Services to buildings and landscape activities(UK SIC N81)
5. Specialised construction activities (UK SIC F43) [An organization profile must be included in your submission as “Appendix 1”.] This report should assess the impact of external business environmental factors on the organization and evaluate the organization’s position and responses. In the case of a large organization it is permissible to confine your report to part of the organization.
An organization’s activities may range beyond the designated industrial sector in which case the focus of your report must be on the organization’s activities within the designated sector.
Task 1 Give a brief overview of the primary external influences to which the organization is subject and briefly explain the particular importance of each to the organization.
This first task should contribute no more than one third of your overall report.
Task 2 Choose one of the following themes:
a) Ethical standards and codes
b) Increasing international economic integration (trade and investment)
c) International legal and regulatory factors
d) Technological change
e) The increasing global importance of China
In relation to your chosen theme
i. analyse its relevance to your chosen organization and how it influences policies and decision-making within your chosen organization or industry-sector.
ii. critically evaluate the effectiveness of the organization’s response.
iii. (if possible and appropriate) demonstrate some areas for improvement in the response of the organization.