5BUSS006W: International Business Research
Coursework 1: Weight: 50%
Individual Literature Review
Submission: Monday 20th February on Turnitin – 13:00 UK time
Word count: 2000 (max +/- 10%) words
The aim of the assignment is to give you the opportunity to demonstrate your research skills and your ability to identify and critically evaluate your findings. Your research provides the evidence to support your argument on the topic and your sources must be relevant, current and reliable.
Please choose from one of the two titles below and answer as an essay referring to the literature below and other literature, evidence and explanations you have gathered.
- Hofstede`s Model of National Cultural Differences and Their Consequences: A Triumph of Faith -- A Failure of Analysis? (McSweeney, 2002)*
- Hofstede G. (2002) Dimensions do not exist: A reply to Brendan McSweeney. Human Relations, 55(11), pp.1355-1361.
- MCSweeney, B. (2002) The essentials of scholarship: A reply to Geert Hofstede. Human Relations, 55(11), pp.1363-1372.
- Williamson, D. Forward from a critique of Hofstede’s model of national culture. Human Relations, 55(11), pp.1373-1395.
- * McSweeney, B. (2002) Hofstede`s Model of National Cultural Differences and Their Consequences: A Triumph of Faith -- A Failure of Analysis. Human Relations, 55(1), pp.89-118.
i) Critically discuss the critique on Hofstede’s model as asserted by McSweeney and the counter critiques by Hofstede referring to the articles above and other more recent (2008 and upwards) literature, evidence and explanations you have gathered.
ii) Furthermore, critically evaluate the implications of models for cross-cultural research and what could include future research regarding the topic using the article by Williamson and other literature, evidence and explanations you have gathered.
- Greater accessibility in higher education leads to greater employment? Considering a diverse context.
- Geshekter, C. (2008) The Effects of Proposition 209 on California: Higher Education, Public Employment, and Contracting. Academic Questions, 21(3), pp.296-318.
- Browne, L (2010) As UK policy strives to make access to higher education easier for all, is discrimination in employment practice still apparent? Journal of Vocational Education & Training, Vol.62(3), p.313-326.
- Salas-Velasco, M. (2007) The transition from higher education to employment in Europe: the analysis of the time to obtain the first job
Higher Education, 54(3), pp.333-360
- Mok, K. H. (2016) Massification of higher education, graduate employment and social mobility in the Greater China region
British Journal of Sociology of Education, 37(1), p.51-71
i) Critically discuss whether greater accessibility to higher education can lead to greater employment for students in different countries and from different cultural (e.g. national or religious) backgrounds and with different gender referring to the articles above and other literature, evidence and explanations you have gathered.
ii) Furthermore, critically evaluate the gaps in knowledge and what warrants future research using concluding remarks from the articles above and other literature, evidence and explanations you have gathered.
Remember that we are not interested in your opinions/beliefs per se but in those of the authors of the different articles and books you have read.
Structure & Presentation
- Clear introduction with background, aims, objectives
- References are cited and listed correctly
- Documentation standard (word processing, structure, logical flow, use of English)
- Range of relevant reading
- Reference to texts and contemporary peer-reviewed journals
- Thoughtful critical analysis (e.g. Structured sequence of points; clear argument)
- Clear line between literature review and assignment title
- Conclusions are relevant, well formulated and linked back to aim and objectives from the introduction
- Clear connection to assignment title and what could be valid future research