• Foster and guide the skills of independent research.
• Further develop students` practical skills in news production, including writing skills, research techniques, sourcing and referencing experts.
• Enable students to identify topics that are newsworthy and make a contribution to knowledge in their chosen area of current affairs whilst also being viable within the constraints of time and length.
• Explore the commercial and market pressures within which modern journalists produce output, and the way in which these affect editorial decision-making.
Select and apply practical journalism skills demonstrating evidence based knowledge of engaging audiences and market pressures.
• Identify and critically evaluate the viability and practicality of topics for investigative reporting.
• Research, script and produce short broadcast news reports to a professional standard.
• Research and write short journalistic articles to a professional standard.
• Identify and evaluate the production processes journalists are subject to in their daily work.
•Evaluate and apply a range of journalism research techniques.