devise a realistic programme of research into a topic;
· collect, select and review relevant background literature;
· identify and gather research data (i.e. from original language sources, memoirs, interviews, the media, archives, government reports);
· understand and select the appropriate methodology for dealing with sources and data;
· apply these methods (e.g. historical analysis, content analysis, discourse analysis, questionnaires, interviews, participant observation);
· organise the data collected and analyse their findings;
· write up an original research report;
· be self-critical about their findings and the limitations of their analysis.