Essay 2500 words.
Essay Title: Perceptions of sport and people with learning disabilities differ from Paralympic athletes. How valid is this statement?
Style Sheet – History
There is a certain house ‘style’ which you need to follow for all written coursework for History modules here at DMU (remember – if you are a joint honours student there will most likely be a different style for the modules in the other half of your degree).
Most criteria for written assignments refer explicitly to ‘Adherence to Subject Conventions’, so you need to make sure you do the following:
- Write all work in font size 12
- Include the title of the work (e.g. Essay question, full book reference for book reviews) at the top of the first page
- Double-line space the main body of the text (footnotes do not need to be double-line spaced)
- Leave a large margin (e.g. at least 2cm) around the edge of your written work – this can be done via ‘Page Setup’
- Work can be printed either single or double-sided.
- Include a word-count (this is made up of all the text in the main body of the piece – main body, titles, subtitles – but does not include references (footnotes or bibliography) at the start of the essay
- All History coursework has a word limit leniency of 10%, meaning you can be under or over the prescribed limit for the piece by 10% without penalty.
- Include page numbers at the bottom of each page
- Include a bibliography (listing all other publications, websites etc used in the writing of the coursework) on a separate page at the end – see referencing advice sheets for style on this
- Include footnotes (if you have made explicit reference to a section, quote etc of another work) – see referencing advice sheets for style on this
- Make sure you put short quotations (less than 50 words) in speech marks (e.g. ‘example’)
- Make sure you put long quotations (more than 50 words) separate from the text and indented in from the left hand side:
A long quotation such as this should be commenced on a new line (with a line gap) and then written out in its entirety. You should normally use a smaller font (in this case size 11) for long quotations. It should be indented from the left hand side to make it stand out from the remainder of the text. You do not need to put this quote in speech marks or italics.