Aims : This unit examines the use of information systems within business. It considers the contribution of information systems to organisations and to strategy, along with an analysis of the ethical implications of their use. The unit explores the importance of having an effective information technology (IT) infrastructure and evaluates the contribution of management information systems (MIS) to decision-making. It analyses key systems applications in the context of their role in businesses. It also considers the impact of e-commerce and the needs of global business. It assesses approaches to building secure and effective information systems in order to improve business performance and customer satisfaction.
Learners who, in their present or future roles, need to understand and select appropriate management information systems will develop knowledge, understanding and analytical skills necessary for such tasks.
Assessment Guidance: To achieve this unit, learners must achieve the learning outcomes and meet the standards specified by the assessment criteria for the unit. Additional assessment guidance is provided on the ATHE sample assignment brief. Learners can approach their work from a theoretical perspective but they must show practical understanding of information systems and technology and the impacts on business, including e-commerce and global business. However they do not need to be experts in the design and implementation of management information systems. Learners will need to exemplify their work with the use of case study material from a variety of businesses.
1. Understand the role of information systems in global business.
- Explain how businesses use information systems in a global context.
- Evaluate the role of information systems and technologies in transforming businesses.
- Evaluate the role of information systems in global e-business.
2. Understand the relationships between information systems, business strategy and e-commerce.
- Examine the role of information systems in developing business strategy.
- Assess how information systems contribute to achieving competitive advantage.
- Explain the unique features of e-commerce.
- Evaluate the impact of internet technology e-commerce and social media on traditional business models.
3.Understand how information technology impacts on business performance .
- Assess the need for and key components of an effective information technology infrastructure.
- Critically examine the reasons for building effective information systems.
- Evaluate the impact of key emerging information technologies on business performance.
4. Understand how key information systems improve business performance and enhance decision-making.
- Evaluate how key information systems can improve business performance .
- Analyse the relationship between information systems and decision making.
5. Know how to build and manage effective, secure information systems.
- Explain how to manage information systems projects
- Assess the challenges to developing global information systems.
- Explain how a business can develop structures for global information support systems
- Analyse the implications of ethical and social issues for managing information systems.
- Assess the security risks faced by information systems.
- Evaluate tools and technologies for the protection of information systems security.