You provide research services for McDonald’s, a large, multi-national, fast-food company. The CEO has asked each department to undertake a critical review of their systems, processes and practices as part of a major organisational change agenda. You have been asked to review an area of business practice and present a business report to key stakeholders with recommendations for improving practice. To provide the basis for your report, you have been asked to conduct a critical review of information sources relevant to the area of practice. You should:
- Select an area of business practice and give the reason for your choice
- Undertake a critical review of different information sources (at least three) e.g. research digests, academic and professional literature, online databases, key texts relevant to the selected area of practice.
- In your write up of the literature review you should explain why you selected that particular source and highlight some of the different research approaches adopted by the authors and comment on the advantages and disadvantages of these different approaches.
- Draw meaningful conclusions from the review of the different information sources.
- Make justified recommendations to named stakeholders for sustaining and/or improving practice.
Your report structure should include:
- Title page (report title and their name, submission date)
- Executive summary (overview, methods of analysis, findings, recommendations)
- Table of contents (list of numbered sections)
- Introduction (terms of reference)
- Main body (headings and sub-headings – these could be for each information source reviewed). Candidates should use a mix of narrative and diagrammatic formats where appropriate to present their findings.
- Conclusion (including major inferences and recommendations for change)
- Reference list
- Appendix if used i.e. information supporting their analysis but not essential to its explanation.
Possible areas of business practice include (select one):
- Attracting new customers
- Improving retention of staff
- Motivating employees
- Product development
- Reputation management
You also very welcome to choose one a topic you have identified.