In this paper, you are asked to prepare a comparative analysis of two nations,where one nation has been chosen (Qatar) , you are supposed to select another nation with the similarities and factors mentioned below. You are not allowed to use England, Scotland and Wales.
Qatar is one of the comparative countries; I want to use with a focus on mega-events (Fifa world cup 2022) and using the theoretical lens of soft/power and disempowerment.
I need another comparative country, that has similarities with Qatar, although I am not allowed to use England, Scotland or Wales.
I am not entirely sure which country to use, but it needs some similarities could be in the countries demographics, population, cultures, etc.
Some key terms:
‘Imagined community’ (Anderson, 1983)
Cultural globalisation and the suggestion that cultures and societies are becoming more alike (homogenisation)
‘Globalisation’ (Horne, 2006)
Potential terms to be included from the lectures, although only the relevent ones are needed.
The key book, is Participation in sport, International policy perspectives, Edited by Matthew Nicholson, Russell Hoye and Barrie Houlishan 2011.
Please complete a comparative analysis of two nation-states discussed within this module. Please examine four of the five aspects listed below within the chosen nations:
- The structure of the sport or PE (e.g the significance of the public, not-for-profit and commercial sectors in the delivery of sport).
- The culture of sport or PE (consider the relationship between the sports culture and the influence to sports or PE participation, and consider the historical background of the sport or PE and its impact to current provision).
- Sport or PE participation statistics
- The nature and extent of government intervention in sport or PE at national and sub-national levels (consider the contemporary and historical aspects).
- The efficacy of government intervention (in context of participation rates).
We encourage/welcome the use of different formats for the presentation of evidence and data gathering that you have carried out on your two nations. For example you could include photographs from your designated World Café seminar, include videos, Pinterest, PowerPoint (of your PechaKucha), Popplet (for capturing mind-maps), Padlet etc.
And: assessment criteria
These are based on the learning outcomes for this module, which are that after studying this module, you should be able to:
Knowledge and understanding. After studying this module you should be able to:
K1 – Demonstrate a critical understanding of sport and physical education using an international perspective
K2 – Show clear evidence of the systematic ability to reflect upon relevant concepts and theories in order to gain a deep understanding of a specific international case study
Skills, qualities and attributes. After studying this module you should be able to:
S1 – Actively manage own learning through independent study and effective information gathering
S2 – Collect, analyse and present data in a critical and constructive manner.