Learning Outcomes: After completing the module, you should be able to:
1. Exhibit an understanding of the key dynamic forces impacting on business and society.
2. Critically evaluate the relationship between such forces in terms of effective strategic decision making.
3. Prepare an evaluation of an organisation’s responses to key dynamic forces in the contemporary business world.
4. Select and use decision making tools to address contemporary drivers for change.
5. Analyse the relevant theoretical foundations to support the identification and application of effect corporate responses to contemporary management issues.
Guidance Your assignment should include: a title page containing your student number, the module name, the submission deadline and the exact word count of your submitted document; the appendices if relevant; and a reference list in AU Harvard system(s).
You should address all the elements of the assignment task listed below. Please note that tutors will use the assessment criteria set out below in assessing your work. You must not include your name in your submission because Arden University operates anonymous marking, which means that markers should not be aware of the identity of the student. However, please do not forget to include your STU number. Maximum word count: 4,000 words
Please note the following: Students are required to indicate the exact word count on the title page of the assessment.
The word count includes everything in the main body of the assessment (including in text citations and references).
The word count excludes numerical data in tables, figures, diagrams, footnotes, reference list and appendices. ALL other printed words ARE included in the word count. Please note that exceeding the word count by over 10% will result in a 10-percentage point deduction.
Case Study Starbucks pledges £7m to develop ‘fully recyclable and compostable’ cups Coffee giant Starbucks has committed $10m (£7m) to bringing a fully recyclable and compostable cup to the market within three years. The move came after a decision by the company to honour a decade-old pledge to introduce 100 per cent recyclable coffee cups.
The move marks the third such commitment made by Starbucks to move towards recyclable cups. In 2008 Starbucks boldly told the world it would work on switching to a 100 per cent recyclable paper cup. Today it finally committed money to that effort.
In a statement, Starbucks said: “No one is satisfied with the incremental industry progress made to date, it’s just not moving fast enough. So today, we are declaring a moon shot for sustainability to work together as an industry to bring a fully recyclable and compostable cup to the market, with a three-year ambition.”
Question Considering the case study above or your chosen organisation, select any two drivers for change discussed in the module materials.
Critically evaluate how they are currently impacting upon strategic decision-making and other activities (commercial or operational) of Starbucks or your chosen organisation. Your discussion should include:
• Drawing upon appropriate sources of information, discuss the nature of the pressures for change brought about by your two selected drivers
• Provide a critical evaluation of the organisation’s current response
• Recommend how the organisation might enhance its response over the next decade
Please note the following instructions for the assignment: You will need to undertake some secondary research to complete the assignment and to develop the evidence base to support your conclusions. You may use the case study or select any organisation upon which to base your research but you are strongly recommended to select an organisation that you have worked for or one you feel you can research easily.