Learning outcomes. Upon successful completion of this module, it is expected that the student would demonstrate:
Knowledge K1. Understanding of the complexity of organisation’s current and future internal and external environments
K2. A critical understanding of the origins and various approaches to strategy
K3. Understanding of the regional, cultural and institutional differences in how business is conducted globally.
K4. Developing a strategic management plan to realise organisational objectives through monitoring, measuring and managing resources to deliver the strategic management plan.
S1. The ability to critically evaluate existing models and methodologies against observations of the practices of real organisations S2. The ability to develop a strategic management plan to realise organisational objectives
S3. The ability to monitor, measure and manage resources to deliver a strategic management plan
Assessment You are a senior Business consultant working for Armani Business Solutions (ABS) Limited, a business consultancy firm. A company with diverse strategic business unit (SBUs) is planning to enter a country suitable for their business and you have been commissioned as their consultant. You are to advice on the type of business unit that would be suitable for a particular country. Your task is to produce a report on their behalf answering the following questions:
1. Recommend a business and a country and provide an internal and external analysis explaining the possible opportunities as well as threats your client could face within the market of your recommended country and provide possible solutions. (20%)
2. Critically assess three modes of market-entry that could be suitable to your client. Out of the three options, make a recommendation with justification as to the most appropriate one. (25%)
3. To what extent should the selected business unit be standardised or adapted for your chosen country. Give a full justification for your ideas (10%)
4. Applying Porter’s generic strategy to explain how your client could gain competitive advantage by adopting one of the generic strategies in your recommended market (20%)
5. Produce a strategic business plan and critically assess how your client could measure its success in this market and how it could improve in the future (15%)
Option One You are required to produce a 3500 word REPORT You are allowed a 10% plus or Minus dispensation of the word limit The word count excludes the Executive summary, Content page, References and Appendices
Option Two You are required to produce a 2000-word REPORT to cover all questions (1 to 5) and a 15-minute presentation using a maximum of 10 annotated PowerPoint slides and present in class/online summarising any three (3) of the above questions.
Submission Guidelines Your submission link will become available approximately 3 weeks prior to your submission deadline. Your submission will be on your module space on Canvas.
Please refer to the `General Assessment Guidance` under the Assignment tab, for detailed instructions on how to submit and how to check for your marks and feedback. Grading Your mark and feedback will be made available to you electronically once the internal moderation has taken place, which is after 4 weeks from your submission deadline.
Infringement The University is committed to the universal academic standard, which requires that students must not submit materials which contain someone else`s work without appropriate acknowledgement. By submitting, you confirm that the work you submit is your own and that you have read and understood the guide to academic integrity and academic misconduct.