Outcome 1: Summarise and evaluate written information on a complex vocational issue
Knowledge and/or skills
- Types, purposes and readership of written communication on vocational issues
- Actively reading and critically responding to written information on a complex vocational issue
- Conventions of formal written communication
- Impact of format, structure and layout on communication
- Impact of language and register in vocational documents
- The purposes and effectiveness of graphic communication
- Skimming, reviewing and note taking
- Skills of extracting key information and supporting detail from written information on complex vocational issues
- Skills in evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of written communication on vocational issues
The learner will provide evidence to demonstrate knowledge and skills in summarising and evaluating information on a complex vocational issue. One text concerned with presentation and analysis of information will be presented for summarising and evaluation.
- The summary will demonstrate, in-depth understanding of information, key ideas and supporting detail and will express key information in the learner’s own words.
- The evaluation will address the extent to which the text is appropriate to the intended reader and whether it meets its overall aims/purpose/objectives. It will assess the accuracy, sufficiency and relevance of information presented and will explain strengths and any weaknesses in methods used to communicate information. Comment will be justified by detailed and relevant evidence from the text.
Outcome specific comment from Support Notes section – non mandatory
- Appropriate source text length should be between 800 – 1500 words, be vocationally contextualised and suited to purpose of exercise regarding language, format, etc. Graphics may support or enhance the communication.
- Student summary could be produced in response to structured questions and can be in the form of bullet point, notes or a report.
- Student evaluation should cover ‘objectivity’ of content, considered in terms of relevance to the reader’s needs.
- To support responses, detailed, specific reference to the text is required.
- Evaluation responses are likely to be 350 words in length.
Task: Your tutor has provided you with a complex text related to your vocational area of study. You will find this located at: xxxxxxxxxxxx
You are now expected to produce a summary and evaluation of this text to satisfy the requirements of Outcome 1, listed above.