1. Read “Setting the Terms of Relief: Explaining State Policy Choices in the Devolution Revolution” by Joe Soss, Sanford Schram, Thomas Vertanian, and Erin O’Brien and answer the following questions:
- What are their primary motivations for the study?
- What theories are they evaluating? Do their results confirm or disconfirm any of these theories?
- How does this research tie in with discussions we’ve had in class about social policy? Provide at least two detailed examples.
2. Section 4 of this course deals with the emergence of the modern nation-state. The democratic capitalist state is perhaps one of the most studied types of the modern nation-state. Drawing on the assigned readings, answer the following questions:
- What does a society “need” in order to “turn” democratic?
- What is the role of the state in shaping whether democracy emerges?
- Does international politics shape whether a state develops a democratic political system? If so, how? Also, has this importance of international politics increased over time?