To what extend UK companies were successful in addressing the issues of language and cultural differences arise in workplace.
Your research proposal is to prepare for a project that looks at what UK companies have done to both recognize and understand that to work effectively with overseas partners is not simply limited to speaking the same language but to be aware of difference in cultures.
* Two words about the abstract: “Short”. “Summary” (≈ 150 words)
Introduction / Background
* ≈ 150 words for your proposal.
* A further ≈ 50 words (for the Aims and Objectives)
* ≈ 450 words for your proposal.
* Concerns existing theory
* Puts research into context
* Links to research questions
* Informs research approach and data collection
* Name to reflect content of chapter e.g. ‘Collaborative Alliances, SCM and Supplier Development : Innovating Outside the Organisation
* Research methods covering both quantitative and qualitative approaches in a mixed methods study.
Sampling plan, sampling frame, recruitment methods, incentives for response (≈ 150 words)
Outline of data collection methods for each approach, survey / question design, how data recorded – any material needed (≈ 400 words)
The reader uses this to judge the reliability & validity of your methods
* Methods: What type? / If original, how were they created? / How is data analysed?
* Processes: Who collected data? / How were they trained? / Validity & Reliability / Context (company, sector, time, country)? / Instructions? / How many surveys, interviews? / How long were the surveys, interviews?
Proposal: Data Presentation
Plans for data presentation, coding, analysis, interpretation (for quantitative and qualitative data) (≈ 125 words for qualitative, ≈ 125 words for quantitative)
* Primary data – data that you’ve collected yourself
* Secondary data – data that already exists
* The academic literature that you include in the literature review is not secondary data, it is linked to THEORY
* Question: What are the benefits of A) Primary data? B) Secondary data?
* Consideration of ethical issues (see Lecture 1wk12) arising from the research and how you would address these (≈ 150 words qual AND for quant)
Discussion and Conclusions
Gives some reflective thought on the research
Contribution: developing theories, methodology, companies
Description of any limitations of the research; + what have you done to address these limitations (≈ 150 words)
References / Appendices
Use UWE Harvard referencing
Reference academic literature / literature on methodology and how to do research / background data / websites / data on which you draw upon for your findings and analysis / tables, figures, diagrams, quotes
Appendices to include some details of your data collection methods [Keep to a minimum; approach differs across different outputs]