Write a 1,500 word essay on:
Examine how disability affects the experience of childhood and/or youth in relation to ONE of the following areas:
- Service provision
- Child Protection
- Social and/or community participation
- Youth Culture
- Transitions into Adulthood
- Other (this must be discussed with the Lecturer)
- To what extent are disabled children and young people disadvantaged in relation to your chosen area. Here you will need to engage in social theory in order to identify the causal factors linked with the oppression of disabled people.
- Consider how discrimination features in your chosen area – do children experience discrimination directly or indirectly?
- What are the general outcomes of disabled children/young people in relation to your chosen area when compared with non-disabled children?
- Assess current policy and service provision in relation to the issue affecting disabled children and their families and how this relates to your chosen area. How might children/young people/families be better supported? Use empirical and non-empirical research, evaluative research, found in academic journals and books relating to the topic area. Also use policies- examples might be “reasonable adjustment” in the Equality Act 2010; Person Centred Planning; A Child in Need in section 17 in the Children’s Act (1989); or advocacy. Only discuss the interventions, research and policy relevant for your topic.
Your essay should include:
- Your chosen title.
- Word process, double space and number the pages. You must also include a word count. No more than 5 –10% of the assignment should be in the form of quotations.
- Ensure that you write the assignment in essay format with an introduction, main-body and conclusion. A key feature of an essay should be a continuous narrative throughout your writing. In that, you will not use headings and sub headings to break up the information that you are discussing (as would be the case with a report). Your work must be word processed, double spaced and page numbered; Arial 12 Font;
- A conclusion where you draw the threads of your discussion together and show how you have addressed your essay question, aims and objectives.
- You will be expected to draw on parts of at least ten academic/peer-reviewed sources (that is academic books or academic journals) to support your discussion to pass.
- No more than 5 –10% of the assignment should be in the form of quotations
- You must use the Harvard referencing system to identify the source of all the information used in your assignment. You must also reference throughout your essay where and when you have used information from other sources.