LO1: Investigate the sourcing and procurement processes within a food service organisation.
- LO2: Evaluate operations management strategies within a given food service context.
- LO3: Explore the importance of ethical management for overall business success.
- LO4: Produce an improvement plan for a given organisational challenge within a food service organisation
Scenario and Activity: You have been newly appointed as an area manager of a chain of globally acclaimed restaurants group who have clientele in both local and international markets. You have been appointed to manage some of the thriving restaurants in the central London branch. You have been asked to investigate and write a report on the strategic management processes and practices found within different food service contexts used across the different food restaurants you manage. You are to also investigate the supply chain process and operations management strategies used within the food industry. As there have been some challenges with suppliers, products being out of stock, the quality of foods complained in some of the restaurants, you have been specifically asked to look into through the processes from sourcing products and suppliers to the various strategic tools and business options available to your organisation in order to address various challenges and issues within the business. In your report, which is based on a restaurant of your choice, you should:
• Produce an introduction and overview of different food service contexts.
• Examine a range of different food supply chain approaches within the food service industry, highlighting critical stakeholders in the process.
• Discuss the principles of effective procurement and sourcing processes for a food service operation.
• Analyse a range of different food supply chain approaches and procurement strategies that can enhance organisational effectiveness. (Merit criterion)
• Assess the application of different analytical tools to support effective management strategies.
• Evaluate different management practices that support successful business operations in food service organisations.
• Critically evaluate management tools and practices that can support successful business operations in food service organisations. (Merit criterion)
• Discuss ethical practices in your chosen food service organisation and the impact these ethical practices have on the overall business success.
Analyse various ethical practices in your chosen food service organisation and the impact they have on overall business success. (Merit criterion)
• Provide valid and justified recommendations to support management practices and strategies that enhance effective business operations. (Distinction criterion)
• Critically analyse various ethical practices in specific food service organisation and their impact on the organisation’s business objectives overall. (Distinction criterion)
LO4: Produce an improvement plan for a given organisational challenge within a food service organisation
Scenario and Activity: As a franchise performance support manager at [named organisation/an organisation of your choice – your own place of work if appropriate] you have to provide guidance on best practice for business. Part of your remit is to assess performance issues and develop action plans to support the implementation of the overall strategic plan. You are required to assess a current practice of the franchise operator/owner using a range of different evaluation tools and review techniques, and reach key conclusions about their business. Once you have reviewed your findings you must recommend alternative approaches to improve the business, making reference to key strategic alternatives available to the business. This work will be submitted as a business development plan that includes the following:
• Assessment of current management practices and operational performance of the organisation.
• Recommendations for improvements and alternative management strategies to resolve issues and improve productivity and performance.
• An implementation plan that includes a breakdown of how solutions could be put in to practice within the organisation. (Merit criterion)
• Metrics for monitoring and evaluating the plan. (Distinction criterion)
Reasonable consideration will be given in the case of failure to submit the assignments on time due to any medical reasons (provided sufficient medical proof is made available at the time of exemption). Late submissions will be allowed only if proof is provided for extenuating circumstances.
• Referencing should be provided using the Harvard Referencing style: (https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/BTEC-HigherNationals/Advanced-Practice-in-Early-YearsEducation/2016/Specification/Pearson_Guide_to_Harvard_Referencing.pdf).
• The assignments should be completed in an appropriate format. The recommended font is Arial Font 12, using 1.15 line spacing. • The assignment (LO1, LO2 & L03) should be prepared as a Report and uploaded to the Assignment tab on the VLE.
• The assignment (LO4) will take the form of a Business Development Plan in Report Format, which should be uploaded to the Presentation tab on the VLE