You are required to research and prepare a 1500-word professional briefing note that summarises the key historical and current factors that have affected participants in a real life case example which will be provided to you. This briefing note will be used to inform decision makers in your hypothetical work organisation and shape both immediate and longer term practice responses.
Case study approach: The purpose of this assignment is for you to engage in a professional task that could lead to social change and social justice outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families and communities in Australia. The assessment will be based on a case study approach. You will select, research, and analyse a real life case study to use from a selection provided by the teaching team. These include case studies from areas covered in our course such as education, child protection and criminal justice. You should draw extensively on course content and your own research to analyse the case study and formuate recommendations.
NB. You should not use a case study outside of those provided by the teaching team unless you have permission from the Primary Convenor.
Research and recommendations: Your briefing note should provide well researched and argued recommendations for practice across the individual, micro interpersonal, meso community and organisational, and macro policy and societal levels to ensure both immediate and longer term social justice and human rights outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander individuals, families, and communities. You will need to draw extensively on course content and your own research to identify the key features of the case study, explain the relevant factors that have shaped it, and come up with well-argued and credible practice recommendations. You will need to display evidence of thorough analysis and application of course content in your briefing. Your recommendations should be designed to promote Indigenous human rights and social justice.
Professionalism: Your briefing note should be free of typographical and spelling errors and written in a way that is clear and easy to understand for professional decision makers in your hypothetical organisation. You need to use research evidence and arguments that will support your analysis and recommendations in a professional and credible way. You should assume that others may disagree with your recommendations and that you need to establish your arguments using relevant evidence.
Briefing note template: The briefing note format provides you with an opportunity to present evidence based information and arguments in a succint and professional way. A template will be provided for the briefing note that will include required headings for your analysis and recommendations. The template includes a 1500-word written component and a required visual diagram component. You must use this template to complete your assignment.
Examples of headings used in the template include:
- Case summary: What are the major relevant facts of this case study of which decision makers need to be aware?
- Background: Which major historical policies and professional practices have influenced the scenario outlined in the case study?
- Current practice context: Which current policies and professional practice approaches are influencing the people involved in the case study?
- Cultural safety and humility: How are the cultural beliefs and practices of non Indigenous people influencing the scenario presented in the case study? How are the cultural beliefs and practices of Indigenous peoples influencing the scenario presented in the case study (if at all)?
- Anti-colonical and anti-oppressive practice: Is there evidence of anti-colonial and anti-oppressive practice at work in this case study? Are human rights such as self-determination being upheld? If no, what is happening instead?
- Recommendations: What are your short term recommendations for ensuring human rights and social justice for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples involved in this case? What are your longer term recommendations for ensuring human rights and social justice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in general in this area of practice?
- Visual summary of responses: you must include a visual diagram of your recommendations as part of your briefing. This diagram should map your recommended responses across the continuum of practice ranging from individual, micro interpersonal, meso community and organisational, to macro policy and societal level responses. This can be presented as a simple table or as something more creative.
NB. You must support all of your arguments and observations in this assignment using appropriate scholarly and Indigenous led community and professional resources obtained through this course and your own research. All sources must be fully referenced using APA 6 style guidelines.