Assessment 3 Briefing Note Template
You will need to use this template to construct your Briefing Note. You only need to address the questions in the template.
You do not need to present this in an essay style format with an introduction and conclusion although you do need to include your references in the references section of the template.
Word Limit: 1500
1. Case summary: What are the major relevant facts of this topic of which decision makers need to be aware?
2. Background: Which major historical policies and professional practices have influenced the scenarios outlined in the topic?
3. Current practice context: Which current policies and professional practice approaches are influencing the people involved in the topic?
4. Cultural safety and humility: How are the cultural beliefs and practices of non Indigenous people influencing the scenario presented in the topic? How are the cultural beliefs and practices of Indigenous peoples influencing the scenario presented in the topic (if at all)?
5. Anti-colonial and anti-oppressive practice: Is there evidence of anti-colonial and anti-oppressive practice at work in this topic? Are human rights such as self-determination being upheld? If no, what is happening instead?
6. Recommendations: What are your short term recommendations for ensuring human rights and social justice for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples involved in this topic? What are your longer term recommendations for ensuring human rights and social justice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in general in this area of practice?
7. Visual summary of responses: you must include a visual diagram of your recommendations as part of your briefing. This diagram should map your recommended responses across the continuum of practice ranging from individual, micro interpersonal, meso community and organisational, to macro policy and societal level responses. This can be presented as a simple table or as something more creative.