Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) has been identified as an integral part of company operations, although media reports show that many firms are struggling with practical application. You have been asked to conduct a CSR audit for a BHP Billiton.
In your capacity as a communications auditor, specifically address the following in a report to BHP`s management:
- Detail your `scope of engagement` (i.e. what exactly were you instructed to do).
- Critically analyse the current understanding of CSR, referring to academic literature and industry standards.
- Examine BHP`s CSR commitment by carrying out the following investigation:
Identify the CSR claims embedded in BHP`s vision and strategic documents.
Are these claims measurable (i.e. are the actions arising from them fully integrated into BHP`s governance and performance documents)?
Can BHP demonstrate the positive impact of its CSR policy?
- Clearly identify discrepancies between communicated intention and corporate practice.
- Make recommendations to improve BHP`s CSR policy.
- Ensure that discussion extends beyond the theoretical concepts
The report is to be 2,500 words in length and presented in a standard business report format comprising the following:
Table of contents
Covering material from topics 1-4, this assessment is designed to develop your ability to articulate an argument within a report style format. More specifically it seeks to assess your understanding of the following learning outcomes:
1. Be able to use communication skills to inform, instruct and persuade.
2. Be able to explain and critically evaluate communication standards and conventions in business.
3. Be able to explain the complexity of communication across cultures, within teams, and in the management of people.
4. Be able to identify and critically evaluate formal and informal communication channels in organisations.