1. Who is Bernard Madoff? What were his crimes? Why was it so important that he find investors
who would not withdraw their money? Who was Harry Markopolos and why was the investing world
and the SEC so disinterested in his fIndings? If you are using outside sources here, please be sure to
2. Define the crime of Prostitution in Illinois (with citation). Please don’t just cut and paste the statute.
Why is prostitution considered a crime? Should these acts be considered criminal? Why or why not?
3. What is the difference between mail fraud and wire fraud? Provide an example of each.
4. What is the Broken Windows Theory? What are the criticisms of the Broken Windows Theory? Do
you agree with the theory? Why or why not?
5. Justice Stewart said that he could not define obscenity but that he “know[s) it when [he] see[sJ it.”.
Why is it important for courts to have a working definition instead of following Justice Stewart’s lead?
Define and interpret the Miller Test?
6. Interpret the DUI statute in Illinois. Specifically, discuss the different theories under which
someone might be proven guilty under the Illinois statute. Do NOT simply cut and paste the statute,
interpret it and provide citation. Provide one scenario supporting one of those theories. Be sure to
identify which theory your scenario supports.
7. Discuss and define the common law crime of breach of the peace. Does Illinois have a statute
which correlates, or translates, to common law breach of the peace? If so, define it, interpret it and
provide a scenario under which it could be proven.
8. What laws has the United States passed to combat terrorism? Sonic say that these laws hinder and
invade the privacy of civilian citizens who are otherwise innocent. Do you believe this is the case? Why
or why not? Do you believe these laws are necessary for national security? Why or why not?