EC3314 – Financial Economics
Read the case study, ‘Greydanus, Broekh and Associates: The Yield Curve Kink Decision’. The case introduces a variety of issues in bond portfolio management including bond portfolio benchmarks, understanding the importance of changing economic factors and barbell strategies. Exhibit 8 (page 15) from the case has been deliberately omitted, as it will be part of the assessment.
Write an 800-1,000 word analytical report on Greydanus, Broekh and Associates (GBA)’s portfolio management style. The word count should exclude tables and calculations. This should be an independent, individual report and you should not collude or get someone else to write your report.
In the report, you will need to
- assess GBA’s performance,
- comment on their investment strategy,
- assess the outlook for interest changes,
- underline the key relationships between yields and bond prices, and comment on the usefulness of duration’
- In particular, analyze the ‘Porsche’ bond, and demonstrate how its duration and convexity are calculated as of end of June 1997 (given that the first coupon payment to be considered occurs in two months, at the beginning of September 1997).
PS: Make your presentation neat, concise and clear. Avoid long and complicated sentences. A good report will be one that has been able to sift through the vast amount of information and present only what is necessary and important.