Unit 4.5 Applying Promotional Techniques
Level 4 15 Credits
You have been asked to give a presentation on the role of promotion in achieving business objectives and the range of methods used. The audience will be a group of new students to your college who are thinking of taking a course in Applying Promotional Techniques.
You will have to carry out research and ensure that the information included in the presentation is accurate and current.
Produce detailed notes to assist you with the presentation and relevant slides and handouts.
You must make sure you include the following topics:
- an explanation of the aims of promotion in business
- and explanation of how the success of a promotional campaign is measured
- an explanation of the regulation of promotional activities
- an explanation of promotional methods used by business
- an exploration of current trends in promotional methods
- an analysis of the importance of branding in promotion
This assignment covers assessment criteria 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3.
A bibliography must be attached
In this assignment you will evaluate an existing promotional campaign and plan a future promotional campaign. You will carry out research into the promotional activity of Premier Inn (parent company – Whitbread) . Premier Inn is the UK’s biggest hotel chain and won an award in 2011 for its Premier Weekend campaign featuring Lenny Henry. The award was for the ‘Best Group Marketing Campaign’.
Carry out research into the promotional campaign, ‘Premier Weekend’. You will find information about the campaign on the Whitbread and Premier Inn websites. You will also find reviews and news articles about the campaign on the internet. Produce a report evaluating the campaign. Make sure the report includes the following:
- a review of the objectives of the campaign
- an analysis of the promotional mix used for ‘Premier Weekend’
- an analysis of the target market for the campaign
- an evaluation of the choice of media in relation to the target market
- an evaluation of the integration of the promotional mix with other components of the marketing mix, that is, product, price and place.
This task covers assessment criteria 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4.
A bibliography must be attached.
Whitbread has decided to open a new Premier Inn in your locality. You have been asked to plan a promotional campaign for the opening. You should produce a plan which must include:
- proposed aims and objectives for the campaign
- choice of target market for the campaign with justification
- suitable promotional activities
- a plan for implementation stating how it meets the objectives of the campaign