Coursework/ Exam Details Learning Outcomes Assessed
CW1 2000 word written assignment: 1, 2, 4
The 2000 word written assignment must be submitted through “Turnitin” which can be found on your Moodle page.
The written assignment should be no longer than 2000 words (+/- 10%). Please indicate the word count on the front sheet. 10% of the final mark will be deducted if you go over the 10% word count. Words in tables are not included in the word count.
Coursework 1: 2000 word written assignment (50% of the final mark).
Identify two sources of media with a nutritional theme, one should be something you consider to be a good example and one should be something you consider to be a poor example. The sources can be the same or different forms of media (e.g. website, twitter, newspaper article, facebook, TV advert, interview, or anything else that has a visual aspect). Compare, contrast and critically appraise both pieces of media.
In your essay, you must include the use of media and communication theory to underpin your argument. Critically reflect how you might use one of these sources in your practice as a nutritional professional to disseminate nutrition information.
Learning outcomes are that on completion of this module the student should be able to:
1. Critically explore the meaning and significance of media and communication theory in nutritional journalism
2. Critically appraise a range a range of existing media, technological and communication methods used in nutritional journalism
4. Critically reflect upon the role of the nutrition professional in utilizing the media to disseminate nutrition information
Consider the following when discussing both media sources:
- What is the purpose of the media source?
- What is it trying to achieve?
- Who is the target audience?
- To what extent does it meet your expectations?
- Is it the best way of delivering this information?
- How would you improve it?
You must provide a link (if it is web-based) or a copy of your media sources in your appendix.
In order to ensure you fully understand what is required of you for this seminar presentation please consider the following documents when you are preparing your presentation:
• Masters level marks criteria
• Masters level marking grid
• Module learning outcomes