1. Understand the nature and context of employment relations.
2. Know about employment relations legislation.
3. Understands contemporary developments in employee involvement and participation.
4. Know about different forms of conflict behaviour and dispute resolution.
You are required to provide written responses to each of the following six questions.
· Provide a brief analysis of the indeterminacy of employment relations and an assessment of the factors which impact on employment relations. In your analysis, briefly compare and contrast unitarist and pluralist approaches.
Assessment Criteria 1.1, 1.2, 1.3
· Briefly critique the key features of the contract of employment.
· Identify the main sources of UK and EU employment relations law and include a brief summary of some of the main developments in individual employment law.
Assessment Criteria 2.1, 2.2, 2.3
· Provide a brief summary on how you would advise on the purpose and scope of statutory trade union recognition.
Assessment Criteria 2.4
· Clarify the key terms used in employee involvement and participation
· Explain the extent to which they can strengthen employee voice in a union and non-union context.
· Provide a brief assessment of the link between employee voice and organisation performance.
Assessment Criteria 3.1, 3.2, 3.3
· Briefly explain the differences between conflict and misbehaviour at work and between official and unofficial industrial action. In your answer, give a brief review of some contemporary trends in the type of conflict and industrial sanctions.
Assessment Criteria 4.1, 4.2
· Explain what is required to advise, coach and guide line managers in the skills for handling grievance or disputes in the workplace.
· Distinguish between third-party conciliation, mediation and arbitration.
Assessment Criteria 4.3, 4.4