100 Networking Interview Questions & Answers
1) What is a Link?
2) What are the layers of the OSI reference model?
3) What is backbone network?
4) What is a LAN?
5) What is a node?
6) What are routers?
7) What is point to point link?
8) What is anonymous FTP?
9) What is subnet mask?
10) What is the maximum length allowed for a UTP cable?
11) What is data encapsulation?
12) Describe Network Topology
13) What is VPN?
14) Briefly describe NAT.
15) What is the job of the Network Layer under the OSI reference model?
16) How does a network topology affect your decision in setting up a network?
17) What is RIP?
18) What are different ways of securing a computer network?
19) What is NIC?
20) What is WAN?
21) What is the importance of the OSI Physical Layer?
22) How many layers are there under TCP/IP?
23) What are proxy servers and how do they protect computer networks?
24) What is the function of the OSI Session Layer?
25) What is the importance of implementing a Fault Tolerance System? Are there limitations?
26) What does 10Base-T mean?
27) What is a private IP address?
28) What is NOS?
29) What is DoS?
30) What is OSI and what role does it play in computer networks?
31) What is the purpose of cables being shielded and having twisted pairs?
32) What is the advantage of address sharing?
33) What are MAC addresses?
34) What is the equivalent layer or layers of the TCP/IP Application layer in terms of OSI reference model?
35) How can you identify the IP class of a given IP address?
36) What is the main purpose of OSPF?
37) What are firewalls?
38) Describe star topology
39) What are gateways?
40) What is the disadvantage of a star topology?
41) What is SLIP?
42) Give some examples of private network addresses.
43) What is tracert?
44) What are the functions of a network administrator?
45) Describe at one disadvantage of a peer to peer network.
46) What is Hybrid Network?
47) What is DHCP?
48) What is the main job of the ARP?
49) What is TCP/IP?
50) How can you manage a network using a router?
51) What protocol can be applied when you want to transfer files between different platforms, such between UNIX systems and Windows servers?
52) What is the use of a default gateway?
53) One way of securing a network is through the use of passwords. What can be considered as good passwords?
54) What is the proper termination rate for UTP cables?
55) What is netstat?
56) What is the number of network IDs in a Class C network?
57) What happens when you use cables longer than the prescribed length?
58) What common software problems can lead to network defects?
59) What is ICMP?
60) What is Ping?
61) What is peer to peer?
62) What is DNS?
63) What advantages does fiber optics have over other media?
64) What is the difference between a hub and a switch?
65) What are the different network protocols that are supported by Windows RRAS services?
66) What are the maximum networks and hosts in a class A, B and C network?
67) What is the standard color sequence of a straight-through cable?
68) What protocols fall under the Application layer of the TCP/IP stack?
69) You need to connect two computers for file sharing. Is it possible to do this without using a hub or router?
70) What is ipconfig?
71) What is the difference between a straight-through and crossover cable?
72) What is client/server?
73) Describe networking.
74) When you move the NIC cards from one PC to another PC, does the MAC address gets transferred as well?
75) Explain clustering support
76) In a network that contains two servers and twenty workstations, where is the best place to install an Anti-virus program?
77) Describe Ethernet.
78) What are some drawbacks of implementing a ring topology?
79) What is the difference between CSMA/CD and CSMA/CA?
80) What is SMTP?
81) What is multicast routing?
82) What is the importance of Encryption on a network?
83) How are IP addresses arranged and displayed?
84) Explain the importance of authentication.
85) What do mean by tunnel mode?
86) What are the different technologies involved in establishing WAN links?
87) What is one advantage of mesh topology?
88) When troubleshooting computer network problems, what common hardware-related problems can occur?
89) What can be done to fix signal attenuation problems?
90) How does dynamic host configuration protocol aid in network administration?
91) Explain profile in terms of networking concept?
92) What is sneakernet?
93) What is the role of IEEE in computer networking?
94) What protocols fall under the TCP/IP Internet Layer?
95) When it comes to networking, what are rights?
96) What is one basic requirement for establishing VLANs?
97) What is IPv6?
98) What is RSA algorithm?
99) What is mesh topology?
100) what is the maximum segment length of a 100Base-FX network?