506: Book Review 01 Instructions
You will write a book review on The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order by Samuel P. Huntington. Be sure to review the “Book Review Grading Rubric” before starting this assignment.
The “Book Review” should be 5–full pages in length, not including the title and reference page. Format your review in 5 main sections: introduction, summary, critique, personal response, and conclusion. Do not summarize or critique the chapters chronologically. Consider the book as a whole. Avoid excessive quotations. State the authors’ view points in your own words and give specific page references when paraphrasing. Remember, in this book review, you MUST show 7 connections to a geopolitical framework (for these 7 connections – highlight in yellow).
Give a brief introduction of the book you are reviewing. Be sure to include a thesis statement of the major points, etc. (Brief introduction MUST be at least 6-8 sentences long)
Summarize the main theme of the book. What is the overall perspective, purpose, or argument of the book? If the author wanted you to get one idea from the book, what would it be?
This section needs to balance the book`s strengths and weaknesses in order to unify your evaluation. What strikes you as noteworthy? What has the book accomplished? In what ways was the book effective or persuasive? Challenge assumptions, approaches, or arguments made by the author. Does the argument make sense? You can offer agreement or disagreement and identify where you find the work exemplary or deficient in its knowledge, judgments, or organization. Provide concrete evidence for your assertions. Support judgements with references from the textbook reading in this course. Be sure that your evaluation is balanced, respectful, and fair. Control the tone of your critique.
This section should demonstrate how the book has enhanced your understanding of the issues in the book, etc. You must also introduce new ideas that go beyond the book if they compliment ideas you have gleaned from reading in the book. Rmemeber, go beyond “just” your personal response to the book – Think outside the box.
Give a brief conclusion (Brief conclusion MUST be at least 8-10 sentences long).
***Further Instructions on Assignment:
Please follow instructions above and grading rubric very thoroughly and carefully. Make sure this assignment has an Introduction, Summary, Critique, Personal Response and Conclusion. Must be formatted in current Turabian style and include a title and a bibliography page. Make sure to include (correct) page numbers for citations. NO PLAGIARISM as I will check if it is OR not. DO NOT STRAY FROM WHAT THIS ASSIGNMENT IS ASKING; MAKE SURE TO COVER ALL AREAS BEING ASKED (ABOVE UNDER “PROMPT”). Remember, this is a graduate (Master’s) level assignment, so make sure that it is – Graduate level academic writing on this assignment is very important.
ONLY use the sources I’ve asked (below).
It is important to write persuasively and think critically as well as thinking outside the box.
***Further Instructions on Sources: I will upload the full book; it is split up into 6 parts. Read the whole book, then write the book review.
- 8 references/citations from the book itself, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order by Samuel P. Huntington. (Be sure to cite properly as well as including the correct page number for each references/citations).
- 3 biblical scriptures MUST be used and incorporated – Do not randomly pick a biblical verse. Only choose biblical verses that makes sense and has connections with what is being written.
- Word document “Thesis Statement for Book Review” will help and guide you on how to write one proper for a book review.
Again, you MUST:
- Write in current Turabian style – All guidelines MUST be followed. 5–full pages in length; typed, 12 pt font, Times New Roman, double spaced, 1-inch margins.
- Have minimal grammatical and no spelling errors.
- Have and show that major points are clearly articulated and sufficiently supported. Introduction, summary, critique, personal response, and conclusion are evident, clear, and concise.
- There are 8 references/citations to the book are present and clearly demonstrated.
- There are 3 biblical scriptures that are present and clearly demonstrated.
- Show 7 connections to a geopolitical framework. (Please highlight these 7 connections to a geopolitical framework in yellow).