- Each open plan room is equipped with 12 desktop PCs and each of the rooms belongs to a different department.
- In the comms room there is no need for a hardware firewall to be connected before the border router
- PCEF wants their Web, DNS and DHCP server in the comms room. They expect most of the networking infrastructure to be stored there but if necessary a small 5U rack can be installed in any room
- The LAN has to be 100% redundant in the case of a single point failure.
- The network diameter is not a concern
- PCEF requires the full 3 layers of the hierarchical Cisco model
- At this stage of the project since you are submitting a bid so there is no need for any configuration of the devices
- Cost is not a factor. That doesn’t mean using a carrier class router when you only need an enterprise class one.
- You have to consider scalability for the future
- There is an external 1000baseLX GE leased line with an SFP connector coming from an external router to the comms room that will be the endpoint of your network
- There is an internal 10GbaseLR 10GE (SFP+) connection that will need to be connected to a supercomputing facility at 5 miles (8 km) distance in the future. This connection will provide data from the particle collider for processing. This connection comes to the comms room from another building.
- You don’t have to describe the software needed. For example, Server OS or VM technologies.
What is required from you:
- You will need to prepare at least one network diagram illustrating your solution. You don’t have to use the floorplan as a template although you have to demonstrate connectivity between different rooms in your design. Ideally you can use Microsoft’s Visio. You have to search, evaluate and select real network hardware
- Your solution has to present all network devices, hardware and cabling needed
- You have to use legends as part of your design with full description of your cabling and network devices
- You have to consider and provide a WDM solution for the company’s particle collider connection.
- You have to provide a written report along with your drawing(s) on how your design fulfils PCEF’s specifications and also justify your selection of the network hardware
- The written part of your report ideally should be between 1000 words.
- There is a number of ways that you can prepare a network diagram and advice will be provided. The goal is to be able to efficiently communicate your design in a professional manner.
- You need to use appropriate referencing (Harvard) for the devices you propose.