The debate topic will be centered on the content for this week but will include current issues that are happening in politics and government. It is essential to follow the debate guidelines set up in Week 1 and participate fully in the debate process. Remember debating is not about who is right or wrong, but who can express their ideas in a professional manner using current evidence and a thorough understanding of the issue.
Some potential topics for this week include:
- In 2010, President Obama signed the Affordable Care Act. The law enacted comprehensive health insurance reforms. What is your analysis and opinion of the Affordable Care Act?
- Every two years the United States Senate elects members to its chamber. One-third of the seats in the U.S. Senate are up for election each two years. The balance of power and control of the legislative process can change from Democrat to Republican. Review previous United States Senate Majorities and determine if this is a positive or negative for American governance.
- Recent rulings of the federal government and their effect on state and local jurisdictions.
- Interaction of the political and bureaucratic systems.
- Political parties and the impact of their power and influence on both the legislative and judicial systems.