FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING TEAM PROJECT; Financial Analysis
This is a business related paper. It’s a group project, so people are doing the essay separately. The attachment is the requirement of the paper. The first page is what you need to write for the essay. There are six big points in total. You just need to write the third one, which is about the analysis of balance sheet of Walmart Company. Please use sources correctly. You need to write one and half page. No introduction or conclusion needed. Remember you only need to write about the THIRD point for the essay
FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING TEAM PROJECT
REQUIRED: WRITTEN PROJECT
- Obtain the most recent annual report for the two companies that your group has chosen. The reports should contain at least three years of income statement data and two years of balance sheet data.
- Analyze at least 3 (three) items on the income statement for your base company that would be important to an investor and or user of the financial information, and discuss whether your company’s performance related to these items appeared to be improving, deteriorating, or remaining stable over the two years. Justify your answer.
- Analyze at least 3 (three) items on the balance sheet for your base company that would be important to an investor and or user of the financial information, and discuss whether your company’s performance related to these items appeared to be improving, deteriorating, or remaining stable over the two years. Justify your answer.
- Analyze your base company’s investing and financing activities for the most recent year as identified in the statement of cash flows, specifically identifying the two largest investing activities and the two largest financing activities. Discuss whether you agree or disagree with the investing and financing strategies that your company appears to be employing.
- Identify 2 (two) items not included in (or derived from) the financial statements that you think would be important to someone considering whether to invest in your company. Discuss your reasons for believing that these two items about the company would be important in making
an investment decision. (Hint: you might want to consider items discussed in other business classes.)
- Compare your base company’s financial statements with those of the second company as- signed to your group. If you were making a decision to invest in one of the two companies, which company would you choose? Why? (Note: your answer in this section must include some financial issues, but your answer need not be limited to a discussion of financial issues.)
- You must submit the entire annual report for each company being discussed. (these can be submitted in electronic format)
- Your analysis must include page references to relevant portions of the annual reports, and the relevant portions of the annual reports must be highlighted. Your report must also contain appropriate quotation marks for quoted material and appropriate citations for material taken from sources outside the financial statements.
- Your analysis is limited to 6 (six) pages, and must be typed, double-spaced, and have at least a
10-point font. (This report should be submitted electronically)
- The assignment is due on the last class day of this term. Presentations will be made during the last week of class. Your group’s specific day will be determined and announced two weeks before the presentation day. (Submit a copy of your presentation electronically) as well on the last class day.
REQUIRED: TEAM PRESENTATION:
Prepare a 15 minute presentation for the class summarizing the results of your team’s project. Each member of the team MUST participate in the presentation, and after the presentation you will be ex- pected to entertain questions for 5-10 minutes from both the class and the professor.
The written projects will be graded in two phases. The written paper will account for 60% of the grade:
- First, the projects will be reviewed for compliance with the basic requirements and for composition. Any projects submitted without the entire annual reports for both compa- nies being discussed, without appropriate page references to the relevant portions of the annual reports, without appropriate highlighting of the relevant portions of the annual reports, without appropriate citations for material taken from sources outside the annual reports, and/or with excessive composition errors will have to be resubmitted. Any pa- pers requiring resubmission for the above reasons will be docked a minimum of 15 points out of 60.
- Second, the papers will be reviewed for content and will be graded using the following rubric
- Grade A: The paper is well written, free of grammatical and other writing errors, and well organized. The report addresses each of the issues specified in the requirements, uses appropriate examples to illustrate concepts discussed, and integrates the annual report data with the narrative. The report focuses on important items, demonstrates a thorough understanding of the relationships among financial statement data, and is cohesive.
- Grade B+ – A-: The paper generally is well written but may have minor grammatical or other writing errors or lack smooth transitions. The report addresses the issues specified in the requirements, demonstrates understanding, and focuses mainly on important items, but does not fully synthesize the material being discussed, and/or does not integrate the annual report data with the narrative.
- Grade B: The paper does not have excessive grammatical or other writing errors.
The report addresses the issues specified in the requirements, but demonstrates only moderate understanding, and/or lacks integration.
- Grade C+: The paper does not have excessive grammatical or other writing errors.
The report addresses the issues specified in the requirements, but demonstrates only minimal understanding of one or more of the issues.
- Grade C- – D: The paper is acceptable after initially requiring resubmission due to failure to comply with the basic requirements, excessive composition errors, or fail- ure to demonstrate understanding of two or more of the issues required to be dis- cussed.
- Grade F. The paper fails to meet the basic requirements, has excessive composition errors, and/or fails to demonstrate understanding of two or more of the issues re- quired to be discussed after a first resubmission.
The oral presentations are worth 40% of the grade, with 20 points allocated to the importance and rele- vance of the matters discussed; 10 points allocated to the professionalism of the presentation; and 10 points allocated to the team’s responsiveness to questions. Every member of the team is required to participate in the presentation.
TEAM EVALUATION FORM
Please submit a 2 page review of the process that your team followed in completing the project for this class. (The 2 page process description is optional, I do find your comments helpful, however)Your review should include a description of: 1) the way that the team was organized (was there a “team leader,” were there regular team meetings?); 2) the contribution that each member of the team (includ- ing yourself) made to the project (did everyone contribute equally, did someone make an exceptional contribution, did someone fail to contribute, etc?); 3) any conflicts that arose with your team and how the conflicts were resolved (if they were resolved); 4) how effective you believe that your team was in completing the project and 5) anything that you believe would have added to your team’s effectiveness. In addition, please include any suggestions that you have for improving the project in future classes.
Finally, evaluate each member of your team, including yourself, using the following scale: (Comple- tion of this part is mandatory)
5: The teammate did much more than his/her share.
4: The teammate did somewhat more than his/her share.
3: The teammate did approximately his/her share.
2: The teammate did somewhat less than his/her share.
1: The teammate did much less than his/her share.
0: The teammate did not contribute to the project at all.
Note: The “default” rating should be a “3.” Giving every member of the team a “5” will be viewed identically to giving every member of the team a “3.”
Individual Team Member Much more
No Fair than his//
Contribution Share her Share
||0 1 2 3 4 5
||0 1 2 3 4 5
||0 1 2 3 4 5
||0 1 2 3 4 5
||0 1 2 3 4 5