Provide a brief assessment of the current status and future potential of five selected emerging information technologies that are anticipated to have a significant effect on future business, with a justified recommendation of one of these technologies for future investment by a specific, named business in any sector of your own choice.
This report should be written in the style of a CIO briefing - presenting his analysis to a board of directors. It should be easily comprehensible by senior managers without technical knowledge. Your assignment should be up-to-date, well-reasoned, practical and decisive. The sources for your research will typically be drawn from the Internet and recent academic literature and all sources must be cited and referenced.
The basic report will consist of the following sections:
- A brief discussion of a specific company, the nature of its business, its industry and its current application of information technologies;
- A justified selection and description of five emerging technologies that may be of future significance to the selected company, and why;
- A critical analysis comparing and contrasting the likely benefits, costs and limitations of the five selected technologies to the business;
- A discussion of the potential areas of application in the business and the strategic value of two ‘shortlisted’ technologies (including their position in McFarlan’s Strategic Grid or the BCG Portfolio Model); and
- A recommendation justifying the emerging technology that the company should ultimately invest in.