To experience mechanical engineering design by detail designing the gearbox of a motor-gearbox-belt system whose ‘layout diagram’ is
The power P (30KW, 20KW, 10KW,2KW) and ω (1000rpm, 700rpm, 300rpm, 50rpm) are available at A. Select a combination of power
and angular velocity values to start your design.
(The report has a maximum word limit of 2000 words excluding the contents and the appendix page.)
NB Pro/Engineer users may use Pro/Engineer but no support can be offered to help with difficulties.
The contents of the coursework
The selected power and the speed at A and hence the selection of motor, calculation of the belt specifications (belt length, tensions
on the tight and slack side). Specifications of the gear box (Speed ratio, power transmitted) (10%)
Gear tooth calculation using the gear box specification (20%)
Gear box shaft(s) calculations (30%)
Engineering drawings of the case which are fully dimensioned in orthographic projection using BS8888 using Inventor. (20%)
Engineering drawing of the shafts, gears, and other accessories along with an assembly drawing of the gear box which are fully
dimensioned in orthographic projection using BS8888 using Inventor.. (20%)
The design calculations are on the following topics for guidelines
1. The motor selection to satisfy the power required.
2. the tension in the slack and tight sides of the belt drive
3. the gearbox ratio given rpm at A and motor rotational velocity
4. the ratio of gear trains, worm gear or epicyclic gearboxes
5. the stress in the gear teeth in the gearbox the tolerances on shafts to create a specified fit (*BS4500)
6. stress in the gearbox input and output shafts
7. the outside diameters of gears given the module and number of teeth