Unit 5.46 Computer Research Methods
Level 5 12 Credits
ATHE Level 5 Diploma in Computing (QCF)
You will choose a suitable computing research topic to investigate and you will carry out research into this area of interest, using a range of computer based research methods. You could look at artificial intelligence, data communication and networks or multimedia systems and applications. The final decision on the research topic within computer science is yours but the nature of the research must be discussed and agreed with your tutor before you start the work. The suggested word count for the research report is around 2000 words.
Once you have agreed your research topic with your tutor, you must demonstrate your understanding of computer based research techniques by:
- analysing a range of computer based research techniques
- evaluating different sampling techniques that are commonly used in computer based research projects (that could be used in your project)
- assessing ethical issues in using computer based research techniques
- evaluating the tools and techniques you can use to analyse the data
LO1 Assessment criteria, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4
You must now plan a computer based research project on a topic within computer science using the analysis and evaluations completed in Activity 1.
- Develop a research proposal for your project, including the aims of the project
- Plan the data collection for this project
- Review the feasibility of the proposal
- Decide on the report format appropriate for the intended audience
You will present your work to your tutor and you will get feedback on this before starting Activity 3.
LO 2 Assessment Criteria 2.1, 2.2, 2.3
Produce a computer science research project report which:
- Analyses the data that has been collected
- Presents the findings of the research in line with the research aims
LO3 Assessment criteria 3.1, 3.2, 3.3